This year has been quite active in terms of publications. As December comes to a close, I thought I'd wrap up my round-up with a summary of what came out in 2019.
Flight or Fright continues to be my biggest project to date. This year saw the release of the anthology in trade paperback in English from both Scribner and Hodder & Stoughton in the UK. We are currently up to fourteen translated editions under contract: Germany (Heyne), France (Livre de Poche), Brazil (Editora Schwarcz), Poland (Proszynski), Japan (Take Shobo), Korea (Sam and Parkers), Hungary (Europa), Russia (AST), Bulgaria (Pleyada), Italy (Mondadori Libri S.p.A.--Sperling & Kupfer), Spain (Penguin Random House Spain), Greece (Klidarithmos), China (Shanghai 99), Ukraine (Family Leisure Club). Some of them have appeared already; the others are in progress.
Check out my page for the anthology to see covers and the latest additions to the "Inflight Entertainment" section, showcasing all the cool photos people have sent me showing them reading the anthology on airplanes or at
For short fiction (besides "Zombies on a Plane," which is in Flight or Fright), I had the following stories come out in 2019:
- "Aeliana" in Shining in the Dark in audio (Simon & Schuster; Hodder & Stoughton ) and in English trade (Gallery Books), as well as in Serbian, with more translations to come.
- "The Shrieking Woman" in English in Shivers VIII from Cemetery Dance and in German from Cemetery Dance Germany
- "The Dungarvon Whooper" in Nothing’s Sacred Volume 5
- "The Invisible Man," in A Time for Violence
- "The Patience of Kane" in The Eyes of Texas: Private Eyes from the Panhandle to the Piney Woods
- "Game Seven" in Across the Universe
I already have five new stories cued up for publication in 2020, too.
For essays, I have the following:
- This Essay has no Title (Just Words and a Soundtrack) in Elton John: Fifty Years On: The Complete Guide to the Musical Genius of Elton John and Bernie Taupin
- A Nasty, Dark Piece of Work in the Letterpress edition of Revival
- That Old Gang of Mine in Outside In Gains a Soul
- Doctor Sleep: The World Will Shine Again in Screem #38
- News from the Dead Zone, Cemetery Dance #77
I published two reviews in Dead Reckonings this year:
- That Is Not How the Story Goes (Theodora Goss, Snow White Learns Witchcraft: Stories and Poems) - Issue 25
- “When Blue Meets Yellow in the West”: Stranger Things 3 (with Hank Wagner) - Issue 26
and five reviews at Cemetery Dance online:
- Pet Sematary (movie )
- The Institute by Stephen King
- It Chapter Two (movie)
- Mr. Mercedes Season 3 (TV)
- Doctor Sleep (movie)
in addition to four comprehensive updates at News from the Dead Zone.
I also posted fourteen book reviews at my book blog, Onyx Reviews.
I was a guest of honor at Northern Fancon in British Columbia, attended Necon and KillerCon, as well as my very first Bouchercon. Not sure where I'll be showing up next year other than Necon.
A number of things are in the works for 2020, including my collaboration with Brian Keene, Dissonant Harmonies, and more, I'm sure!
Have a happy and safe New Year's Eve, and all the best for the Roaring 20s to come!